Basically our desktop was toast. We thought we could fix the problem by wiping the hard drive and installing the latest Norton. And then, in the middle of uninstalling the old Norton, the computer did what it was good at, it crashed....again. So we tried wiping it clean...again. And it crashed while wiping. And then again while we were trying to reinstall the system software.
So we gave up. We headed to Best Buy on Valentine's Day with the intention of "just looking". Yea. That turned into two hours of talking to the Mac representative. One hour before our haircuts, and one hour after. He was awesome. Very informative. Showed us all of the cool things a Mac can do. It's very user friendly. A monkey could create a slide show and it would look like a professional had done it. AND- no antivirus software needed. Because Macs are beastly. :)
So needless to say, I'm excited. Max is still sleeping and I'm getting a chance to start messing around with this bad boy. We spent the weekend setting up the software and I'm starting to really understand how everything works.
A word of caution though- if you are not confident in your computer abilities or are afraid to play around with things and then figure out how you deleted them (like I accidentally did yesterday), a Mac might not be for you. It's significantly different from a PC. But once you start to get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. :)
9 comments:
OH MY GOSH. I literally went on to blogger to add to my post that we're buying a new Dell and i saw your post here about the mac. WOW- congrats!! So glad you got one!
We went to the Apple store and did research online with Dell (brand we have now) - we got more (processor speed, memory, etc.) with the dell for $700 and would have had to go to the base price $1499 imac to be comparable. We couldn't justify it for the unsophisticated computer usage we do (spreadsheets, letters, movies, etc.).
I can't wait to see your new computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I admit I'm a little envious. I want a mac. I really really like macs!!
I thought you already had one, too. perhaps you had just said you were intersted in one?
Have fun with your new computer. :)
I just want a laptop - I don't care what kind it is. Congrats on the new mac!
Karen- I agree on cost, but we were going to spend at least 900 for what we wanted in a PC. Plus, I get a 100 dollar teacher discount on the 1499 model.
Our biggest beef with PC...Dell had the best to offer- but I REFUSE to ever speak to someone in India again. We had HORRIBLE service with them. Huge language barrier and they still didn't fix our laptop when all was said and done. We had to have the tech guy at Kendall's office finish fixing it....and I STILL had to find the Bluetooth driver on my own! So buyer beware!
A Mac is worth it...you are going to have sooo much fun! You can really do a lot with all of the pictures of Max you take!
And you can do awesome video chats now!
Laura- I'll have to talk with you some time about how to do some of the stuff with the photos and such. I've just started playing with it and haven't figured it out yet. I could probably go watch the tutorials on the website...but where's the fun in that? :)
I love our Macs. We got our desktop first then Shawn talked me into a macbook and I love them both! We'll never go back to PCs! Congrats!
Post a Comment