Monday, July 21, 2008

A Birthday in Review

Doughnuts in bed, meatloaf, cash, and Lowes. All of the ingredients for an "adult" birthday.

The morning started with Kendall getting me up before my alarm so I could eat "breakfast" in bed. It was the doughnuts I had picked out the night before that I designated as "Birthday Doughnuts". He also gave me a card to open. (We typically buy each other upwards of 3 cards for birthdays and anniversary.) Hoops and YoYo are definitely one of my favorite birthday cards to open. We laid in bed for a while, eating and feeding the dogs bites.

We then had to get up, clean the house, mow the lawn, water the flowers, and get lunch started. Kendall had already gotten up before me and baked my birthday cake (yellow cake with chocolate frosting- a usual for me) so the house smelled yummy when I came downstairs. I zipped around the yard on the tractor while listening to Katy Perry on my new IPod that my dad sent me this week. We came in and Kendall started making the meatloaf while I set the table. His parents arrived to help finish lunch so that we could shower.

We sat down to a delicious meal with his parents, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Anna, and my sister-in-law's parents (they were in town for Anna's party the next day). We had cake, I opened my birthday cards (more Hoops and YoYo- I'm going to video tape the one card and put it here later) and fanned myself with CASH. I didn't ask for any gifts this year because I wanted a new Coach purse from the outlet mall. (Which I promptly purchased yesterday and will post a photo of later.) Kendall brought down the sweet travel bag he bought me in Vegas (it's giraffe print leather). Everyone was overly generous. My dad's birthday card made me CRY because he recorded himself singing to me. I promptly declared that I'm going to save the card forever so that I can always hear my daddy sing happy birthday to me.

The day was wrapped up with a trip to Lowes to buy replacement water filters. Kendall asked me if I wanted to go to a movie, but I really wanted my freshly filtered water again, so since it was my birthday, he gave in. :) We wrapped up the night with some late night Pizza Hut. YUM.

I have to say though, while I had a very nice birthday, I was slightly disappointed that so many people forgot this year. My brother never called or sent a card. My aunt and uncle too. My best friend didn't call until almost 10pm and openly admitted she forgot me. And several people who are normally really good about remembering these things seemed to forget this year. I'm not trying to be greedy or selfish, but growing up, my birthday was always important to me. I guess coming from a divorced family, I always needed to know that my birthday was still important. I try to be diligent about remembering to send cards to people, especially those who take the time to send them to me, but I do understand when people are late getting them out because I'm that way sometimes. So I guess I just felt a little bruised this year. I don't expect everyone to go crazy. But there are just certain people that you hope will remember. When your own family can't, it kind of sucks. That's okay, I'll just cut them out of their share of my lottery winnings. HAHAHA.

Next year....THE BIG 30. As Sarah Ford said when she called me, "Welcome to my world, being OLD!" And my smart ass reply, "But for now, we still get to say we're in our twenties." :)

7 comments:

Laura said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you got some yummy treats to eat!

Mamma Sarah said...

I LOVE Hoops and Yoyo. My MIL even bought me a shirt so I can wear the little guys out on the town. :-)

I have to admit that I forgot to put your card in the mail, but realized it yesterday and then I couldn't find it. When I went on the hunt last night... Lo and behold... it's Alex's fault. He had it in his fire truck that you guys got for him (his latest hiding place for things he finds).

Sounds like you had a great birthday. Muwahahaha... you will join the ranks of us old people next year. :-D

Martha said...

Grown up birthdays just aren't the same, are they? I'm glad you had a great time. I'm with you - I want family to call, and I want them to call earlier rather than later!

Anyway, I hope you had a fabulous birthday and a wonderful birth-month! (yes. the celebration should continue!)

I'm secretly jealous you got a REAL birthday cake. Even home baked!

Martha said...

Oh, and to Sarah's comment. ;) You may be OLD next year, but don't forget - she will always be OLDER.
;)

Karen said...

i'll own up - i'm a forgetter. The problem this year is that your birthday was on a Saturday and i didn't see the reminder pop up until i came into the office on Monday, at which point i was officially LATE. :( I suck.

I DO HAVE A CARD THOUGH! and it is funny!!

Finlands finest said...

My family always forgets my birthday. I am too close to Christmas. One year no one from my family called me. I was bruised that year.

I like the birthday donut idea, I will have to instigate that for me this year!

Sarah said...

I totally understand wanting everyone to remember your birthday. It's the one day of the year that it's completely appropriate to be demanding and selfish. That's why I hate my birthday, cause I always end up disappointed when people forget. Oh well!