So yesterday was a really rough day in our house. The day started off okay. Max slept til 10. (That's with several feedings in between.)
After I fed him, he refused to burp. I tried all the tricks, multiple times. This led to several huge spit ups. One all over his pjs. No big deal, just change for the day. The all over his first outfit and the changing pad. Okay, fine, I have more clothes and extra covers for the pad.
Not 15 minutes later, he had a huge blow out in his diaper and it was all over his back, his onesie, his pants...and the changing pad cover. Fine, another wardrobe change, and I still had one last changing pad cover.
I was able to get him to sleep for an hour after his 12pm feeding. This means he was up from 10 to 12:30. He slept for an hour and was pretty much done for the day. He was awake til almost 4 and barely took a half hour nap. He didn't want to be put down. He was fussy unless I held him.
Then from 5 to 10 he was almost inconsolable. You could calm him down for a short period of time but then he would get upset again. We even tried to lay him down from 7:45 to 8:45. We kept going into his room to comfort him. He had HORRIBLE gas. He was crying in pain. We massaged, wiggled his legs, gave him his gas drops. He kept passing gas and crying. He'd conk out for about 10 minutes and then wake up screaming again. After an hour of this, we decided to take him out of his crib and just comfort him to sleep. Again, he wouldn't sleep for more than 10 minutes if you weren't holding him.
I got to the point where I started crying and couldn't stop. Kendall let me go upstairs for a while, but even up there I couldn't stop. Finally at 10:30 I fed him for the night and he passed out. He slept til 3. Then again til 7. Then til 9:30. He's now sleeping on me again because I know he needs the sleep and I'd rather it be on me than not sleeping.
The bottom line, a baby is considered colicky if they have at least 3 consecutive hours of fussiness or crying at least three days a week. It typically demonstrates itself between the hours of 5 and 10 each night. And it hits its peak at 6 weeks of age. I have a horrible feeling that Max has colic. Which means we could be dealing with this for the next 4 to 6 weeks. And it could get worse. *sigh* At the very least he has severe gas issues. And I don't know how to make him feel better. :( We've tried just about everything.
On another note, I've pretty much decided I'm not going back to work til April 13th. I have to petition the Superintendent for the last 4 weeks, but the guy I talked to from the district is pretty sure she'll let me have the time off. I also take a pay cut, but I just can't go back if this really is colic. That would mean that it ended just as I was heading back in March. I just can't stand the idea that I'd be heading back to work just as the bad run is ending. I want to go back when I have a happy baby. And going back that late means I only have to work 44 days before summer vacation. That sounds doable.
8 comments:
Try Gripe Water. I believe it is for colicy babies and also helps with the hiccups. At a regular grocery store it is found with the baby stuff and not by the pharmacy. I do not know the age restrictions on it though.
Awww Poor Max. I feel for you guys. It is hard to have an upset baby all of the time.
I would agree with Gripe Water. Have you thought about (I know you don't want to hear it) the possibility of food reactions? Just a suggestion start journalism what you eat, when he feeds, sleeps, colors of poo... Just trying to give some advice.
I agree with Sarah, it may help to keep track of what you are eating, too. (I had to stay away from a lot of red sauce.) I never used gripe water, but I did use the gas drops. I've heard good things about gripe water. She didn't crank as long as Max, but I do remember calling those early evening hours "crank time." My friend's baby boy did the same thing...cried ALL day long. Constantly. My recommendation (for what it's worth) is to talk to your pediatrician. I call their office bunches just to ask questions! Why not? You certainly pay enough! Please know you are not the only mommy to burst into uncontrollable tears. I certainly remember doing that. And I'm sure I will again...:) (Shocker, I know.)
I think it's a great idea to stay home, if you can. You will feel much better about returning to work, and that's really important, since baby can pick up on how mommy is feeling. You are a wonderful mother. Max is so blessed to have you!!!!
*hug* being a parent is tough. especially when they can't explain the problems to you. it WILL get better!
Hang in there! I totally sympathize with you guys. There is a ton of advice I could give, but the best really is go with your gut instinct.
Sorry to hear things have been rough lately. I am completely ignorant when it comes to baby stuff, but I will hope and pray that you figure out something that works to give you all some relief.
Post a Comment