So I went to church today with the intention of sitting through the service. As the Jessicas and I sat down and started chatting before service began, another girl from our Sunday School class came up to us and said that the nursery needed at least 6 more people because no one had showed up to relieve people from the first service. So as the music was starting and the lights were coming up, we all get up out of the row and head to the nursery...which was a little embarrassing...the people around us were staring because it looked like we were all just leaving church!
So we show up to the 12-24 months room and Jessica G asks, "Who in here was covering for first service?" And all of the ladies stand up! So one lady says, "I'm going to had you this baby and run!" and proceeds to hand me a crying baby. They ditched as fast as they could. As the 4 of us looked around the room (Rob came too) we saw 14 babies, at least 5 of them crying. So we started picking them up and comforting them. The boy I was holding, a little guy named Grant, just wouldn't stop crying. He proceeded to droll all over my shirt. Finally we realized he was "fake" crying. So I put him down and we let him just fake it for a while. Eventually he gave up.
There were some super cute babies in there and we all agreed that we wanted children just like them. By the time service was over a hour and 20 minutes later, we were all sweaty, sticky, covered in drool, and utterly exhausted! I am planning on signing up to cover nursery with the Jessicas from now on, but after today, maybe I should rethink that! No, honestly, I loved it. It totally reinforced that my baby obsession is totally valid. I loved being in the room with them and can't wait to have my own drooly, crying little monster.
3 comments:
Sounds like you had fun. What church is this? Is there such thing as a Catholic church with a nursery?? Please, do share. :-D
It's actually Far Hills Baptist. But it's not really your typical Baptist church...
You're a better woman than I. I love babies, too, but in any situation with a crying baby I'm very happy to give it back to its mother. :-)
Post a Comment