Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Question

If someone apologizes to you, should you have to apologize back even if you don't feel you did anything wrong but they do? Just because they acknowledge that what they did was wrong, you might not feel the same way about what you did.

Furthermore, if you give an apology, but then point fingers at someone, is it really an apology or just a convenient way to point out what you think someone else did wrong?

Isn't the entire purpose of an apology to just say you're sorry for YOUR wrong doing and not expect anything in return?


7 comments:

Anne said...

1) No, you don't have to apologize. If you feel the need to meet someone "half-way" and apologize without really apologizing, you could always say something like, "I'm sorry we had a disagreement."
2) No, I wouldn't think it's a true apology but a disguise in order to be a dick.
3.Should be, but some people fight with that ol' sense of entitlement and self-righteousness.

Oh snap! My filter is off again.

LisaMarie said...

Thank you Sista Anne! :)

Karen said...

absolutely no you dn't have to apologize in return!

Finlands finest said...

I agree with Anne!

Ms. Sarah said...

I completely agree with Anne. Nothing irritates me more than the person who leads the conversation with "I'm sorry, but you......" and then justifies their wrongdoing.

Martha said...

um, no the person being apologized to doesn't have to apologize, too. Unless, of course, they were also in the wrong for something, and felt the time was appropriate to apologize for their wrong-doings, too.
I do think it is appropriate, and often necessary, that - only if it truly is the case - the person being apologized to says they forgive the other (note: forgiveness does not equal forget, but it does mean forgiving for that apology and action.....gray area there)...but if one doesn't forgive the other, don't say it just to say it...
that's my two cents!
(oh, and it's not an apology with the whole "I'm sorry but you...". when a person has done that to me, I usually get pissy and don't apologize back. Sometimes I'll even say something like "that's okay", as if it is their apology and things are good again....)

Martha said...

PS that pic of Max is CUTE! He's getting so big!!!!! :D