Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Exhausted

So I never thought I would be this exhausted from teaching while pregnant. I'm really hoping that it's just the heat and once things cool off I'll feel a little better. Things have been pretty miserable in our building since we don't have air conditioning and have poor ventilation.

I checked the weather report at 2pm today and it said that it was 91 degrees outside. That means it was at LEAST 100 in my classroom. And on top of that the breaker kept blowing for my corner of the building. It might have to do with the fact that the guidance counselor and the asst principal both have air conditioners running on my circuit. I kept calling the office to get them to fix the problem. The custodian was very nice and he kept coming up to reset things and moved some of my fans around to try to help. The thing is, now all of the fans are on one side of the room and there is even less circulation of air.

When I told the building principal he said to me, "I don't know what to tell you. You'll just have to figure it out. Try the computer lab, it might be empty." What?!?! It's not your problem!??? That's essentially what he was saying to me. Has he forgotten that I'm over 6 months pregnant? I was pissed. I almost felt like crying. After the second time that the fans went out I made the decision to go up to the lab. I saw the asst principal on the way there and told him I was headed up there. He told me that I should stay there for the entire afternoon and that if anybody else tried to come use it I should send them to him.

This is a perfect example of how drastically different my two administrators are this year. Many of the people in my building are very unhappy with our new building principal. He used to be a teacher at the school and then spent one year as our asst principal. The old principal retired and they gave the younger guy his job. He just doesn't have enough experience or the right personality for the job. The new asst principal on the other hand is amazing. It's only his second year as an administrator but he has the right personality to be working as a boss. He's caring, he's always looking for ways to make the staff feel appreciated, and he listens. He gets the job done. I can't tell you how many times I've wished that their job roles were reversed.

I should mention that I've had to bust out my "bitch mode" way too many times in the last week and a half. I've already had to have the "diva" talk with a girl. You know, the one where I say that this room is only big enough for one diva personality, and mine has already taken up all the seats? Yeah. Oh, and we've already caught several kids cheating, had a cell phone stolen, and had a kid tell me that he fell asleep in my room because he was bored. *sigh* It's going to be a long wait til December....

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wow is all I can think to say. Wow, and hope it gets better!

Karen said...

man, the kiddies didn't take long to let their personalities show, did they?

how long are you taking in December?

Mamma Sarah said...

Oh boy... sounds like fun! Cheating already? That's totally crazy. And the whole must have air while pregnant card is a must to throw out there!!