Friday, March 14, 2008

People Magazine Commentary

Okay, I was flipping through this week's issue of the Pop Culture Bible and decided that it warranted some blog commentary....

1. Madonna is getting old. And the longer you stare at her, the older and scarier she looks. At first glance, I thought she was looking pretty good. Then I started looking at the photograph more closely. Man, her face is starting to look ROUGH.

2. Jessica Simpson really is an idiot. It's a good thing she's hot and can sing decently. Because she'd be working at Wendy's if she wasn't.

3. Pregnant famous people. Halle Berry actually looks like a normal pregnant woman. Good for her. She's not starving her baby. It might even take her a while to lose the weight. Nicole Kidman is five months pregnant and looks like me on a normal day. What the crap??? And Jamie Lynn Spears, she shouldn't even make the magazine. Why are we over glorifying a teenage pregnancy? The tackiest part is that she's wearing a "Homecoming '06 t-shirt. CLASSY. And a great reminder to us that she's barely old enough to have a driver's license let alone a kid.

4. Britney Spears gets an allowance...of 1500 dollars a week. A WEEK!!!!! Dude, that's more than my paycheck for two weeks. I hope she can survive.....that doesn't seem like much....gosh...I'm so worried for her.....

5. Someone stole Kurt Cobain's identity. How do you do that? He's got to be like top 5 most famous alt rockers of all time. How do you walk into a bank and say, "I'd like to take out a mortgage. Yes, my name is Kurt Cobain.

6. Paris Hilton and Benji Madden have rings with each others initials on them. Think about it for a second and my immaturity will hit you....Paris Hilton is currently wearing a ring that says "B.M." Does no one else find this funny? I find it HILARIOUS. I feel bad for poor Benji. What were his parents thinking? First they named him after a famous dog and the double whammy of bad initials?!?!

7. Paul Giamatti in the new HBO show John Adams. Okay, first of all, who the hell is going to watch a show about John Adams? Secondly, who is going to watch a show that has Paul Giamatti as John Adams? This show would have at least had a chance if the lead actor was hot. I'm sorry, I'm a history lover, but even I'm a little superficial.

8. The show Miss Guided. I think I might actually watch this. It looks funny. It's produced by Ashton Kutcher and has Becky Freely as its main actress. She's played some great comic sidekicks in big films and I think she's quirky and funny. It's also on a major network, not something like the CW or FOX, and in my mind that actually makes it worthy of trying.

9. Snoop Dogg's new album Ego Trippin is coming out. I'm not ashamed to say I'll probably preview it and might even buy it. I can't help myself lately. I think his show Fatherhood is hilarious. And the ring tone I created for my mom is Drop it Like It's Hot. People even gave this album three stars. And I think they're usually pretty picky. I quote People here, "he can still win you over with his drawled delivery, sly rhymes and pimp-daddy charm." I LOVE IT!

10. Sleeveface.com- this was one of the last features in the magazine this week and it totally fascinated me. It's amazing the way they manipulate some of these album covers.

6 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

#10 is fantastic. :-) Thanks for the rundown. I've missed you making comments on your magazine. :-D

Martha said...

What a great summary - it amuses me to read what you have to say about it (The BM comment had me ROLLING and about ready to spit out my hot chocolate b/c I thought the same thing...).
I like your writing style.
I didn't know half of what you're talking about. However I saw a TV clip on Madonna recently and I thought the same thing you said about her in print...
Britney's salary is more than what I bring home in 2 weeks, too. I wonder if that counts as her TOTAL living expenses (i.e. will go to her mortgage/rent, or if that is a separate fund doled out to her).

TreyJ said...

If we had HBO, I would totally watch the John Adams program. He's a VERY fascinating person.

Finlands finest said...

I have thought the same thing about Madonna.

I saw an article on the web last week about Parish and her BM ring--took that the same place you did. Do you think Paris has ever realized what the initials look like??

Karen said...

know what i love about you? you're super-smart. All your comments were my thoughts on People too! Great minds....

Yes, Madonna looked BLEH. I think it's the hair and the super-toned arms that a 50 year old just shouldn't have. Oh those eyebrows though in the year-by-year montage!

Viki said...

Ha! Loved the comments...I will look forward to more?