Monday, December 10, 2007

10 Rules About Christmas Lights

  1. If you're going to put lights in a tree, go all the way to the top. Don't just stop half way up the tree because you can't reach anymore. Commit to the job! Finish it with a pole or a ladder.
  2. Stick to one style of lights. Don't try to do the cheap lights from Big Lots with some fancy LED things. It just makes your Big Lots lights look even cheaper.
  3. Blow up Santas and snowmen should not be scary looking. If it frightens small children, don't put it out.
  4. Don't use orange extension cords up the side of your house. While I can't see them at night, I have to stare at them during the daylight. And it bothers me.
  5. If you're going to put out lights, make sure you put out enough lights. Don't just put lights on one tree or bush. If that's all you can afford to do, that's cool, at least pick a tree or bush that is logical and makes sense. Not just some random one in the left corner of your yard.
  6. This one is from the hubby: the general rule for Ohio is that you should put out white lights if there is no snow. If you have snow on a consistent basis, you are allowed to have colored lights. Colored lights only look good against snow.
  7. Net lights. Either get several sets that completely cover the bush or tree or don't bother to use them at all. Having a giant blank spot on your bush just looks bad.
  8. Baby Jesus should not flash. There should be no flashing lights involved with The Nativity. I somehow doubt that there was a light show the night he was born. And if there was, it was a shower of stars. Keep it tasteful. Jesus deserves some classy lighting.
  9. If your light display starts to give me a seizure, it's blinking too fast.
  10. Put the damn things on a timer. If your lights are still on at lunch time you just look dumb. Plus, you're wasting energy. And Al Gore wouldn't appreciate that.

12 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

Colored lights also look good if you have white house... therefore if there is no snow you are an exception to rule #6.

Martha said...

colored lights look sweet UNDER a blanket of snow!!

You have some VERY good rules. I agree with them!!! I am equally as anal on the looks of them. :) When done right they look so great, but done wrong....soo, soooo wrong.

Anne said...

I have to add:

No blow-up Nativity scenes. Jesus should not second as a flotation device. Tacky!

Lights that are half solid and half blinking drive us nuts. Make up your mind. Choose and be done with it!

I've got colored lights on our front porch railings, which are painted white, so I feel alright. :)

Karen said...

i cracked po reading this b/c its all so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura said...

I think you should print these on a flyer to distribute at the mall...you would be helping a lot of people out :)

TreyJ said...

I'm taking Laura's suggestion a step further - make leaflets and have someone drop them from some type of flying craft.

Martha said...

Yea, Trey, that's good for the environment. Not only are you wasting all those trees, causing waste (recyclable or not), but also the energy to take an aircraft up to distribute them. I think that may violate rule Lisa's #10 about energy usage.
Not that I'm not for it...

Finlands finest said...

I think # 10 cracked me up the most.

TreyJ said...

Point taken, Martha. However, Al Gore is one of the biggest individual energy hogs on the planet. He can bite me.

LisaMarie said...

I have to heartily agree with Anne's extras. And yes, colored lights do look nice on a white house. :)

The flyer idea isn't a bad one....maybe I'll do a public service annoucement for the radio....:)

My mom said she read this post and that the baby Jesus one made her snort! LOL!

Martha said...

One thing I don't agree with (Al Gore, of course, I'm still flabbergasted by him 'saving the environment') is the ability of buying carbon emission credits or whatever those things are. That is CRAP. If there is this limit, you need to cut your own down as low as possible, AND buy up those credits (to keep others from getting it? I'm not sure how that stuff works, to be honest). Either way, just limit your own and show others way to eliminate theirs. However, to be as wasteful as you want, and then counter that with buying up credits is, well, hypocritical ('do as I say, not as I do'). I am assuming Trey is in agreeance with that last comment. But I still wanted to go on my tangent.
:)

To be fair, Jesus walked on water AND is a *savior*. Maybe a floaty Jesus IS appropriate. HAHAHA (that's equivelant to me not being able to say that with a straight face....).

I'm in a goofy mood. Must be the first "free" meal of the day...

TreyJ said...

I am in agreement, Martha. In fact, I did a post a month or so back on what a huge scam the carbon offset market is. In fact, Mr. Gore himself is invested in a company that sells carbon offset credits, and flies around the world in his private jets guilting people into buying them with his junk science.