Friday, November 30, 2007

Gimme Some Pudding!!!!

Okay, so have you ever really listened to the words to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas"? Yeah, here's what they are:

We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Good tidings we bring to you and your kin;
Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Oh, bring us a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding;
Oh, bring us a figgy pudding and a cup of good cheer

We won't go until we get some;
We won't go until we get some;
We won't go until we get some, so bring some out here

We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

We won't go until we get some?!?!?!!? What the crap? Basically, this is a really annoying way of saying, give us some pudding or we ain't leaving! We'll keep singing til you bring us some. But Merry Christmas!

Upon further research....

We wish you a Merry Christmas History reverts back to the 16th century. We wish you a Merry Christmas History has its roots in England. However the author and the composer of the song still remains unknown to the whole world. Therefore the date of the publication of the song is not known. This song We wish you a Merry Christmas actually reflects the Christmas tradition of showering gifts on the people who wandered from house to house, singing these Christmas songs to please the wealthy people of the community. The name given to these singers were carollers as Christmas songs are also known as Christmas Carols. The song mentions the name of a dessert, which is figgy pudding. This desert, which is mentioned in the song, was once an integral part of the Christmas celebrations but now it seems that it has lost its importance.

Which makes me wonder....what would the words to this song be in modern times.....

So bring us some friggin money?

6 comments:

Mamma Sarah said...

You are hilarious! Thanks for the history lesson though. I had no idea, but I did know about the carolers part. :-D

Laura said...

Hmmm, I vote that from now on we sing this song with your new words...yes, I like the ring of it!!!

Anne said...

I think the original lyricist must have been smoking some dope...cheetos weren't around back then, so I guess it was figgy pudding that satiated the munchies.

Sarah said...

Hysterical! I did know the words to the song, but I didn't know all the history behind it.

Finlands finest said...

I love this post. I didn't know all of the owrds or the history. VERY FUN!

Martha said...

I'm with Jen!
(although I don't know the words to most songs, even though I LOVE Christmas songs).