Monday, September 11, 2006

To Those Comtemplating the Switch to Beta

Here's my take on the new Beta Blogger....

1. I can't say that much has changed between the old and new. It pretty much looks the same as it always did. Even your dashboard hasn't changed that much when signing in.

2. They have jumped on the Google Supertrain that everyone else and their mom has bought into. You now sign in with your Google email address. While it's nice to know I can write posts that save to draft through my email, it's not all that convenient when it comes right down to it.

3. It has some severe limitations at this point. You can't upload YouTube to it. You can't even upload pictures to your blog right now. That's very frustrating as I wanted to write a post about Ok Go and post their picture and video here. They claim they're resolving things, but I'm not seeing it. Plus, you can't leave comments with your name on non-beta blogs. Another annoyance as I now have to sign them as anonymous and remember to put my name at the end.

4. One of the newest features is that you can rearrange your template. You can move features around. They haven't added any new templates, but you can alter more about them, like text color on a regular basis. If I really cared about that, it would be a much cooler feature.

Overall, I recommend everyone stick to the old Blogger for now until they work the kinks out. I guess I should have known that when I saw the word beta. Nothing in beta is ever very good. And I can't even switch back which is probably the biggest drawback of them all. I'll let you know when it's improved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up! I read the info about BETA blogger and was disappointed about having to get a google email address and that you couldn't switch back. Great another email address that will just get more junk!

Hope everything is going ok. We should get together for lunch. I need some female company!

Sarah W.