Okay, I'm a big puss. I made it through one night of Pilates and then dropped out. Yes, you can laugh. I am not ashamed to say that I went back and re-signed up for my Yoga class. Pilates gave me a whole new appreciation for Yoga.
My biggest complaint about the class actually doesn't have anything to do with my being a wuss. The instructor was way too fast for me. I told her at the beginning of the class that I had never done Pilates before. I guess the class I signed up for was not considered beginners Pilates. Even though the Y doesn't offer a beginner class. So I assumed that had to be this class. Everyone else in the room had taken a class before.
While I was able to keep up with the Yoga moves, I also felt they were done unsafely. It actually made me feel a little bit like a hippie. I'm used to smooth, graceful moves that are gentle and safe for your muscles. This instructor turned Yoga into boot camp. We did moves in quick, repetitive progression. I just didn't feel it was safe. Furthermore, I couldn't keep up with the new moves because I was trying to watch everything she did before trying it. The other people in the room kept up nicely, including my friend Jamie.
The second reason that I dropped out was my back. By the end of the one hour session it was killing me. I told the instructor this and she basically told me I had to suffer through a few weeks and it would probably go away. Okay, probably is not good enough for me. If my Yoga class didn't make it all go away, what makes her think high intensity Pilates will?
My last reason is just immature. I couldn't stand one of the ladies in the class. She was like a Pilates Queen. I think she takes it 5 times a day. 2 times at the Y and 3 times at home on a video. Okay, not really, but she's hard core. She was the Billy Blanks of Pilates. And she was distracting me!
So I limped out to the lobby last night and switched classes. I'm heading to Yoga tonight to hopefully repair the damage from last night. I think I need to try a tape first before I go back. Maybe then I could keep up. Jamie says I really broke up with her, not the class. I called her to break the bad news. She said it could have been worse. I could have texted her, "F*ck you and Pilates." I love her. She's so funny.
To soothe myself, I went to Kroger with Kendall and we bought 10 bottles of pop, 3 gallons of ice cream, and two boxes of cookies. Hey, I totally earned it. I sweated for like a whole hour. ;)
6 comments:
Eh, whatever to the killer instructor. You have to do what feels right and dropping that class sounds like the right move. Poor Jamie, but love her comment.
Hooray for Kendall spoiling you with goodies! :-D
Pilates sounds like no fun, and the instructor sounds like a jerk. Pass the ice cream, please.
you broke up with the instructer!! Ha!
i'm proud that you're a big enough woman to admit you quit. and i think you quit for all the RIGHT reasons - no shame in that!
That pilates class sounds horrible for a beginner. Stick with yoga--I like it better anyway!
yea, I think getting in with the wrong level is so not the way to go. It is so frustrating and you don't get anything accomplished and end up leaving worse than when you arrived. Move on! :) I haven't really tried yoga to compare to pilates, but in general, I have to do pilates in the privacy of my own home - I'm sooo not coordinated enought do that in public.
I do yoga on a semi-regular basis (I try for once a week, but usually it's once every 2) and have no intention of trying to do Pilates. I do enough cardio & toning and think yoga is preferrable for relaxation purposes.
From what I've gathered, even beginner Pilates is HARD and will leave you SORE for days when you first start - it's good for people who need a good workout, but can't do cardio (Kristin did it when she was having lung issues because of the lupus).
Post a Comment